Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The power of godliness is made manifest


I would say that one of the greatest blessings that I have as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the ability to enter and worship the Lord in his holy temple. This weekend I had the opportunity to  attend the San Antonio temple with my stake president and his wife, two young men about to leave for their missions in Brazil and a few other members. We departed Raymondville early in the morning. This was my fourth time in the temple and the third time since I have been home from my mission.

This weekend was also very special for me because it marked my fourth year as a member of the Church. I can't believe that much time has elapsed. As I look back at the last four  years I realize how much I have changed and how much I have been blessed. I have experienced so many beautiful things since I joined the Church one of them being able to serve a full time mission for the Lord. 

On Saturday when I was inside the temple I realized though that as much as I have been blessed because of my membership in the Church I believe that its significance goes beyond that. I was in the temple to help those that have come before me to accept this very gospel that has blessed my life. My life really does not belong to me. If I am worthy and able to Heavenly Father will do with my life what is needed for the advancement of his Kingdom. I saw his influence on my life as a missionary and now he needs me to do this great temple work to continue his plan of happiness and salvation for his children.

I have realized that what I do not only affects me but all of my loved ones who have gone beyond the veil and are waiting for their temple work to be done on their behalf. While in the temple I placed close attention to everything as if it were my first time in that sacred place. That really made everything more meaningful as I placed myself in my ancestor's shoes. I imagined what it felt like to them to be in the temple and to learn more about God's plan for us. I felt a great, sweet and beautiful Spirit overcome me and I quickly felt myself surrounded by my ancestors. It was a great experience that I will never forget.

I was reminded of this great verse out of the Doctrine and Covenants as I left the temple that day. Out of the 84th section, verse 19 we read "therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest". Truly I felt the power of God, the love of my ancestors towards me and mine towards them increase as I participated in this great work of salvation. I hope to be always worthy of being a participant into bringing to pass Father in Heaven's work and glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment